The University Transit Service (UTS) Spring 2022 service package will be the same as the Fall 2021 service package except for the service-delivery method between 10:00 PM and 12:00 AM, midnight.
Beginning Wednesday, January 19, 2022, each night from 10:00 PM to 12:00 AM, midnight, University Transit Service (UTS) will implement the following changes and updates service between 10:00 PM and 12:00 AM, midnight:
- UTS Gold Line, Green Line, and Orange Loop service will operate normally until 10:00 PM, 7 days/week. Those routes will go out of service at 10:00 PM.
- A new route named “UTS Night Pilot,” will begin service at 10:00 PM and will run until 12:00 AM, midnight, 7 days/week.
- Built to support transit-reliant First-Year students and the most frequent trip pattern observed via ridership data collected by UTS, Night Pilot will provide 20-minute service to Clemons and Alderman Libraries, First-Year Dorms (McCormick Road, Alderman Road, Hereford Residential College, and Gooch/Dillard via Hereford Residential College), Jefferson Park Avenue, the UVA Bookstore, and the International Residential College. (Please see the Night Pilot route map to be able to visualize the route.)
- Destinations not located along the UTS Night Pilot transit route will be served with a brand new on-demand microtransit service named “UTS OnDemand.”
- Students may request a UTS OnDemand trip via the TransLoc app. Safe Ride vans provide the trip.
- Unlike Safe Ride, UTS OnDemand will utilize unique and specific pick-up and drop-off locations (called “hubs”), many of which are located at existing UTS bus stops. The TransLoc app will guide users to their nearest and best hub locations, and UTS OnDemand users will get to know their best/closest hubs.
- Please see the tutorial HERE for more information on how to use UTS OnDemand.
- There is no change to the Safe Ride service hours (12:00 AM to 7:30 AM, 7 days/week).
- The University Transit Service (UTS) page has been updated to reflect these service changes for Spring 2022.
- This pilot program will be reassessed during UVA’s Spring Recess, March 5 through 13, after 6 weeks of UTS Night Pilot/UTS OnDemand service.