Search This Site

Coronavirus Information and Updates

05/28/2020 - 9:00am

Effective until further notice, University Transit Service is operating a modified service level including only Redline Special. Learn more about the Redline Special.

2020 permit renewals have been impacted by coronavirus. Visit our permit renewal updates page to learn more.

Student Parking

students at a table

Purchasing a Permit

Student permits are sold each August at the Parking and Transportation Office located at 1101 Millmont Street and online. Parking options for students living in on-Grounds housing are listed below.

On-Grounds Housing Area On-Site Resident Parking Off-Site Resident Parking
Alderman Road Houses Not Available S6
Bice House B1* Emmet/Ivy Garage Top Floor
S6 (limited quantity)
Bond House B1* Emmet/Ivy Garage Top Floor
S6 (limited quantity)
Brown Residential College Not Available Emmet/Ivy Garage Top Floor
Copeley Apartments (III/IV) S1 Emmet/Ivy Garage Top Floor
Faulkner Apartments S4 Emmet/Ivy Garage Top Floor
French House Not Available S6
Hereford Residential College S9 S6
International Residential College Not Available Emmet/Ivy Garage Top Floor
Lambeth Field Apartments S2 Emmet/Ivy Garage Top Floor
Lawn/Range Not Available Emmet/Ivy Garage Top Floor
McCormick Road Houses Not Available S6
Residence Staff Assigned by Housing Residence Life S6
Shea House Not Available S6
Spanish House Not Available S6

*B1 is located beneath the Bond House. The limited number of parking spaces available is assigned by lottery.

Please note that Student Permits are not automatically renewed from year-to-year.

Undergraduate and graduate students living off-Grounds may purchase a Blue or Culbreth Road Garage permit at any time during the year at the Parking and Transportation Office. Darden and Law student may purchase permits for parking lots located at their respective schools.

Temporary Permits

Students who do not wish to purchase a permit for the entire permit year have the option to purchase temporary parking permits for the lots at John Paul Jones Arena for up to thirteen weeks.

Motorcycle and Mopeds

All mopeds operated on Virginia roadways must be titled and registered with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Moped drivers must also carry a government-issued Photo ID, wear a helmet, and wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles (unless the moped has a windshield). Visit for more information.

All mopeds are required to have a valid UVA Moped Parking Permit to park in designated motorcycle and moped parking spaces on grounds. Students wishing to register a motorcycle should visit the Motorcycle Parking Information section.

First Years 

University policy prohibits undergraduate first-year students from having vehicles on-Grounds during their first-year (fall & spring semesters). The policy governing use of vehicles by first-year students can be found in the Undergraduate Record ( Students should contact John Cheney, Assistant Dean of Students, at if they wish to request a first-year parking exception. First-year parking exceptions are only granted in extraordinary circumstances. 

Students should include the following information in their email to Dean Cheney: their name, where they live on-Grounds, the reason for the request, and the length of time for the request (full academic year or for a certain period of time). First-year student athletes with regular practices away from Grounds should notify their coaches, and the Athletic Department will contact Dean Cheney.