Notice: Service Change
Beginning Monday, April 13, 2020, Safe Ride service will be provided by Yellow Cab of Charlottesville. Safe Ride will operate 10:00 PM to 7:30 AM, 7 days per week. These changes are effective through at least August 17, 2020. To learn more, visit the new Safe Ride page.
Safe Ride is an on-demand, fare-free, point-to-point transportation service provided after UTS has stopped service for the night. A valid UVA ID is required to book and board a Safe Ride.
Fall and Spring Academic Semesters
- Sunday through Wednesday: 12:30 AM - 7:30 AM (12:30 AM Service)
- Thursday through Saturday: 2:00 AM - 7:30 AM (2:00 AM Service)
Summer and Other Academic Breaks
- Monday through Friday: 10:00 PM - 7:30 AM (10:00 PM Service)
- Saturday and Sunday: 12:30 AM - 7:30 AM (12:30 AM Service)
- Every night: 12:30 AM - 7:30 AM (12:30 AM Service)
Safe Ride does not operate on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, or New Years Day. Consult the Service Schedule for details.
Request a Safe Ride
Inclement Weather and Emergency Situations
Safe Ride may discontinue its operation without advance notice should conditions be judged unsafe by the supervisor. During inclement weather and emergency situations, please visit the P&T Operating Status Board to determine if Safe Ride will be in service.
Riders displaying any unsafe or prohibited behavior are subject to referral to the University Police Department and/or the Office of the Dean of Students. This behavior includes:
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes), drinking or eating in the van
- Belligerent, aggressive, and any other unsafe behavior or activity, including intoxication
- Repeated instances of being a "no show" for requested rides. (To cancel a ride, call 434-242-1122)
- Discharging of bodily fluids inside the van.
- Luggage, bicycles, and/or any article too large to fit on the rider's lap or at the rider's feet
- Groups of 3 or more
- Animals (except Service Animals)
- Open alcohol containers and/or lit cigarettes/e-cigarettes.
Verify Your Ride
It is important to verify the authenticity of the Safe Ride vehicle. All Safe Ride vehicles are marked with the Split-V "Safe Ride" branding, have State issued blue license plates, and are driven by uniformed staff members.
Safe Ride operates the following types of vehicles:
Van 1: 2007 GMC Savana (white)
Van 2: 2011 Chevy Express (white)
Van 4: 2015 Toyota Sienna (blue)
Van 5: 2017 Dodge Caravan (white)
Van 6: 2010 GMC Savana (white)
Van 7: 2017 Ford Transit (white)
Wheelchair Accessible Van: Safe Ride is able to provide transportation via a wheelchair accessible van. Users needing wheelchair accessibility should request a Safe Ride by calling 434.242.1122 and informing the dispatcher.