In order to provide better transportation options to our students during the nighttime hours, UTS is making the following enhancements and expansions to UTS Night Pilot and UTS OnDemand service. These changes take effect on the night of Monday, March 14, 2022.
- The UTS Night Pilot and UTS OnDemand service package is extended to 2:00 AM -- and runs from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM -- 7 days per week.
- The UTS Night Pilot route is expanded to include Jefferson Park Avenue East and University Avenue East. (See the route map for details.)
- Safe Ride Service will now begin when UTS Night Pilot and UTS OnDemand ends, at 2:00 AM.
Please read below for specific changes to UTS Night Pilot and UTS OnDemand.
Expanded UTS Night Pilot
Built to support transit-reliant First-Year students and the most frequent trip patterns observed via ridership data collected by UTS, Night Pilot will provide 20-minute service to Clemons and Alderman Libraries, First-Year Dorms (McCormick Road / Old Dorms, Alderman Road / New Dorms, Hereford Residential College, and Gooch/Dillard via Hereford Residential College), Jefferson Park Avenue, Bond and Bice Houses, and The Corner at Madison Hall. (Please see the UTS Night Pilot route map to be able to visualize the route.)
The UTS Night Pilot route is extended to include:
- Jefferson Park Avenue East (serving Bond and Bice Houses, the Student Wellness Center, UVA Health, and housing located in the West Main Street area)
- University Avenue East (serving The Corner at Madison Hall)
Enhanced UTS OnDemand
Destinations not located along the UTS Night Pilot transit route are served by UTS OnDemand. Students may request a UTS OnDemand trip via the TransLoc app. Safe Ride vans provide the trip. Unlike Safe Ride, UTS OnDemand utilizes unique and specific pick-up and drop-off locations (called “hubs”), many of which are located at existing UTS bus stops. The TransLoc app will guide users to their nearest and best hub locations, and UTS OnDemand users will get to know their best/closest hubs. Please see the tutorial HERE for more information on how to use UTS OnDemand.
UTS OnDemand will now be serving the following newly-created hubs:
- Emmet Street @ UVA Bookstore
- Sprigg Lane @ the International Residential College
- University Avenue @ Newcomb Road
UTS OnDemand will no longer be serving the following hubs, which are now served by stops on the UTS Night Pilot bus route:
- Bond and Bice Houses
- JPA @ Brandon Avenue
- JPA @ Ruppel Drive
- UVA Hospital @ JPA
- UVA West Complex @ JPA