Effective Beginning May 10, 2021
Safe Ride is an on-demand, fare-free, point-to-point transportation service provided after UTS has stopped service for the night. A valid UVA ID is required to book and board a Safe Ride.
Beginning May 10, 2021, Safe Ride services will be provided by Yellow Cab of Charlottesville. Yellow Cab offers the ability to book in advance and track the vehicle.
Visit the Safe Ride riders' guide to learn more about booking and the Safe Ride program.
When in service, Safe Ride operates 10:00 PM to 7:30 AM, 7 days per week
GO THE DISTANCE FOR SOCIAL DISTANCING!
Safe Ride encourages everyone who does not need a ride to walk (in groups of 2 or more), bike, or scoot to get to their destination.
Request a Safe Ride
- Phone: call (434) 242-1122
- Online: visit cvilletaxi.com and follow instructions in the riders' guide
- Walkup: hail a taxi and tell the driver you wish to use the Safe Ride program
- Safe Ride does not provide trips to parties, bars, restaurants or other private businesses.
- Throughout the public health emergency, Safe Rides are limited to one passenger per vehicle.
- Trips must have both the origin and the destination in the service area. Otherwise, it becomes a regular taxi ride and the rider will be charged a fare.
- Safe Ride does not provide quick stops along the route.
- Safe Rides will wait for 5 minutes at the pick-up location before canceling out the request.
- Smoking, including e-cigarettes, drinking, and eating in the vehicle.
- Belligerent, aggressive, and any other unsafe behavior or activity, including intoxication.
- Repeated instances of being a “no show” for requested rides.
- Discharging of bodily fluids inside the vehicle (rider may be subject to cleaning fee in the event of bodily fluid discharge).
- Luggage, bicycles, and articles too large to fit on the rider’s lap or at the rider’s feet.
- Animals, except service animals.
- Open alcohol containers.
Riders displaying any unsafe or prohibited behavior are subject to referral to the University Police Department and/or the Office of the Dean of Students.
Yellow Cab drivers reserve the right to contact the authorities for dangerous behavior.
Verify Your Ride
It is important to verify the authenticity of the Safe Ride vehicle. All Safe Ride vehicles are marked with the Yellow Cab of Charlottesville logo. If you book your Safe Ride via phone or web, Yellow Cab will send you a text message to track your vehicle.
If you use a mobility aid and cannot transfer yourself into the vehicle, please schedule your ride at least 24 hours in advance.