All mopeds operated on Virginia roadways must be titled and registered with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Moped drivers must also carry a government-issued Photo ID, wear a helmet, and wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles (unless the moped has a windshield). Visit www.dmvnow.com for more information.
- A moped is considered a motor vehicle and must have a parking permit to park in BLUE commuter lots or designated moped and/or motorcycle parking spots. Mopeds are subject to the same enforcement regulations as motor vehicles.
- Like all motor vehicles, mopeds are required to display a valid license plate and VIN number. Vehicles found without plates and/or VIN may be subject to immobilization with a parking boot, towing, and/or referral to the University Police Department and/or Office of the Dean of Students. Tampering, removing or altering a VIN number is a violation of Virginia Code 46.2-1074 and is considered a Class 6 Felony.
- Mopeds are not bicycles. Mopeds may not park at bicycle racks.
- Parking in front of or adjacent to building entrances/exits is strictly prohibited. All mopeds found in violation will be cited and/or towed.
- Mopeds must be walked, not ridden, to designated areas that require sidewalk access.
- Moped Towing: In addition to any payable citations issued to a moped, owners of mopeds that are towed will be responsible for towing and storage fees levied by the towing agency.