Special "motorcycle and moped only" parking areas have been designated throughout Grounds. A Motorcycle parking permit is required to park in these areas. Permit holders who also own another vehicle may purchase a Second Car Permit for their motorcycle for a nominal fee. Permits must be displayed on the left front fork of the motorcycle.
All mopeds operated on Virginia roadways must be titled and registered with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Moped drivers must also carry a government-issued Photo ID, wear a helmet, and wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles (unless the moped has a windshield). Visit www.dmvnow.com for more information.
All mopeds are required to have a valid UVA Moped Parking Permit to park in designated motorcycle and moped parking spaces on grounds. Mopeds are subject to the same policies as motorcycles. Mopeds displaying a Moped Parking permit may also park in BLUE parking areas, such as the commuter lots at John Paul Jones Arena.
Moped Parking Guidelines
- A moped is considered a motor vehicle and must have a parking permit to park in BLUE commuter lots or designated moped and/or motorcycle parking spots. Mopeds are subject to the same enforcement regulations as motor vehicles.
- Like all motor vehicles, mopeds are required to display a valid license plate and VIN number. Vehicles found without plates and/or VIN may be subject to immobilization with a parking boot, towing, and/or referral to the University Police Department and/or Office of the Dean of Students. Tampering, removing or altering a VIN number is a violation of Virginia Code 46.2-1074 and is considered a Class 6 Felony.
- Mopeds are not bicycles. Mopeds may not park at bicycle racks.
- Parking in front of or adjacent to building entrances/exits is strictly prohibited. All mopeds found in violation will be cited and/or towed.
- Mopeds must be walked, not ridden, to designated areas that require sidewalk access.
- Moped Towing: In addition to any payable citations issued to a moped, owners of mopeds that are towed will be responsible for towing and storage fees levied by the towing agency.